Skip to main content

Tactics Ogre Reborn Impressions - 2

Just got done playing through Chapter 2 of this on the Chaos route.

I still think this is a solid remake, but there are flaws that are starting to get dangerously prominent. The battles from Ashton to Tanmas were largely fine, and honestly I enjoyed the battles where the enemies were better geared and so presented a decent uphill challenge. While the challenge escalated afterwards, it did so in a pretty awful, inelegant way, by adding way more meat than the situation called for. I was forced to switch Denim and a warrior to two handed weapons to get sufficient damage, which isn't a good thing, as the game had not ever indicated the team's damage falling off before this.

What really soured the experience was the Vice fight. After a tense, grueling battle in front of Amorika's gates, I was greeted with a uber fast enemy that not only tanked everything, but also got in meaty swings, including an extremely dangerous finisher that often struck Denim for more than 2/3rds his health. And this was with him wearing heavy armor and being a dragoon, a solid frontline class with great defense. I eventually won it by grinding out some levels and getting in a bunch of high end healing items, but it really wasn't a great experience. SRPG duels are rarely enjoyable or interesting, and I have no clue why they decided to make this fight even more painful.

I was a little wary when finishers started showing up, but I would say they are mostly decently balanced here. They can be utilized more often, but their damage isn't outrageous, and them costing MP makes them compete directly with spells and other moves, so they work decently well in expanding player choice without inflating damage, something that was a big problem with them in the PSP version. I still think there were more elegant ways to provide more player choice, but I can't complain too much about their current implementation.

The presentation remains top notch, and the performances remain firmly enjoyable, the only exceptions being Aloser and Lans Tartare, who sound wayyy more like prissy, huffy nobles instead of the badass, fierce/grave warriors the narrative portrays them as.

Off to Chapter 3! Let's see if it compares favorably to other versions there. For those curious or following along, I will be taking the Neutral route. Later!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

Professional dilettante. Former assembly coding enthusiast, dabbled with writing reviews and analyses, currently training to be a statistician. Notable creations: Circle of the Moon Card Mode romhack Jets of Time, the Chrono Trigger open world randomizer To the Moon minisode 1 tester: "Dev J Chand" is me. Also tester for MuHa's Master of Magic remake Advisor for the Warlords mod  for Caster of Magic for Windows Contact: dev221117@gmail.com Discord Bluesky

Final Fantasy 6: All About Losers

 So, as it happens, I managed to reexperience some of Final Fantasy 6 through a Let's Play of its Pixel Remaster. On the whole, the game remains enjoyable and entertaining as an experience, despite some aspects that haven't aged very well. But that made me ponder what I liked about it, and I think I have found a rather simple, if seemingly contrarian answer: Final Fantasy 6 is a story about losers. Think about it. Terra, the very first protagonist we're introduced to, is a vacuous woman who constantly struggles with doubts about herself and her decisions. Locke, well, he constantly has complexes over a girlfriend who died ages ago and whose corpse he constantly preserves in a basement attended to by a creepy guy. Edgar? Sabin? Well, they're definitely a touch more adjusted than most of the protagonists, but are by no means flawless beings, and definitely no selfless paladins in shining armor. Edgar is, as is often noted, a smart and capable ruler who also happens to be ...

Tactics Ogre: Rise of Chaos

 Tactics Ogre is, for the uninitiated, an isometric psuedo 3D strategy RPG about an island kingdom plunged in ethnic conflict, civil war, and general chaos. Our dear protagonists ostensibly try to fight for the survival of their own ethnicity at first, but things get complicated and weird fast. Gripping storyline aside, this is a game that gives you lots of fun tools, letting you mock almost anything and everything, up to the final boss himself! Let me demonstrate... Before we begin Give everyone a bow and a herb, recruit one extra chaotic male and lawful female human, and two gryphons, both chaotic. The humans can be any element, but the gryphons should only be air based. All of the above can be purchased from the starting shops, just keep walking back and forth and checking the shops if they don't show up. Fight it Out! So, we're going to ignore the training session for as long as possible. Training is boring and we're trying to have fun. To do this, we'll intentional...